Our curriculum is based on basic karate and kickboxing:
___ Class values
___ Warmup exercises
___ Strength exercises
___ Flexibility exercises
II. STANCE & MOBILITY
___ How to stand
___ 4 direction stepping and positioning
___ Falling, Rolling, Rising
1) Feet about shoulder width apart, left or right foot forward.
2) Hands up elbows down.
3) Unlock knees, weight on the balls of the feet, maintain balance.
4) Foot closest to the direction you are moving moves first.
___ Front Kick
___ Round Kick
___ Side/Back Kick
1) Power = mass behind structured tool + speed.
2) Forward motion.
3) Circular motion.
4) Rising/dropping motion.
___ "Boxing hands" jab, cross, hook, uppercut - individual and combinations
___ Pad and Shield work
1) One person learns how to hold targets while the other person learns how to test the basics.
2) Start slowly, gradually add speed as you become more advanced.
1) Evasion is moving so that you avoid or minimize incoming energy.
2) Parrying is redirecting incoming energy.
3) Blocking is covering a more vulnerable body part with a less vulnerable body part to absorb/disperse incoming energy.
4) Trapping is catching/holding/controlling.
___ Evade/Parry/Block - individual and combinations
___ Free Sparring
1) Start with single techniques and build up to combinations.
2) One person designated to practice offensive moves with another person designated to practice defensive moves.
3) Practice with and without gloves.
4) Evasion parrying blocking and trapping should be combined.
5) Start slowly, gradually add speed as you become more skilled.
V. KARATE KATA
___ Pinan I
___ Pinan II
___ Pinan III
___ Pinan IV
___ Pinan V
* * *