Our curriculum is based on basic freestyle karate:
___ Class values
___ Warmup exercises
___ Strength exercises
___ Flexibility exercises
II. STANCE & MOBILITY
___ How to stand
___ Universal Stepping
___ Falling, Rolling, Rising
1) Feet about shoulder width apart, left or right foot forward.
2) Hands up elbows down.
3) Unlock knees, weight on the balls of the feet, maintain balance.
4) Foot closest to the direction you are moving moves first.
1) Power = mass behind structured tool + speed.
2) Forward motion.
3) Circular motion.
4) Rising/dropping motion.
___ Pad and Shield work
___ "Boxing hands" jab, cross, hook, uppercut - individual and combinations
1) One person learns how to hold targets while the other person learns how to test the basics.
2) Start slowly, gradually add speed as you become more advanced.
1) Evasion is moving so that you avoid or minimize incoming energy.
2) Parrying is redirecting incoming energy.
3) Blocking is covering a more vulnerable body part with a less vulnerable body part to absorb/disperse incoming energy.
4) Trapping is catching/holding/controlling.
___ Evade/Parry/Block - individual and combinations
___ Free Sparring
1) Start with single techniques and build up to combinations.
2) One person designated to practice offensive moves with another person designated to practice defensive moves.
3) Practice with and without gloves.
4) Evasion parrying blocking and trapping should be combined.
5) Start slowly, gradually add speed as you become more skilled.
V. BELT KATA
___ Taikyoku (basic) (green belt)
___ Un-Do (stepping) (green belt)
___ Taikyoku Bo (brown belt)
___ Liveside/Deadside/Inside/Outside (brown belt)
___ Chonan Shodan (black belt)
___ Taikyoku Stick (black belt)
V. ADDITIONAL KATA
___ Pinan I-V
___ Bassai Dai
* * *